Marseille v Atletico Madrid Tips, Preview and Betting Offers – Will Atletico Continue Spanish Dominance?
Wednesday night sees Atletico Madrid meet Marseille in Lyon in the Europa League final. The Spaniards put an end to Arsenal’s hopes of winning this competition, while the Ligue 1 outfit are surprise finalists following an impressive run. Diego Simone’s side may have started the season aiming for Champions League success, but will they cap off a solid season with a European trophy?
Marseille v Atletico Madrid Betting Offers – Europa League Final
- Ladbrokes – Marseille v Atletico Madrid: A goal to be scored (90 mins) – 25/1 – 18+. UK+IRE New Customers Only. Available for a limited time. Min deposit £5. Certain payment methods and cashout excluded. Winning bets paid in cash based on the normal price on the Ladbrokes website. Enhanced odds paid in £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 4 days. Free bet stake not returned. T&Cs Apply.
- Coral – Atletico Madrid to lift the trophy – 33/1 – UK+IRE New Customers Only. Winning bets paid in cash based on the normal price on the Coral website. Enhanced odds paid in free bets. Free bets valid for 4 days. Losing £5 free bet excludes Coral Connect.
- BOYLESPORTS DOUBLE WINNINGS – Double winnings on all markets as a free bet if either side hits the crossbar, applies to all winning single bets over all pre-match markets, max stake £/€20 per customer, max Bonus per customer £/€500 free bet, offer ends at 19:45 on 16th of May 2018.
- WILLIAM HILL BET £10 GET £30 IN FREE BETS – New William Hill online customers only. Min. unit stake of £10/€10 at odds of 1/2 or greater. Only the “win” part from EW bets will count. Free bet terms, payment method & country restrictions apply. Free bets credited as 3 x £10/€10. Free bet stakes are not returned as part of the settlement of successful free bets. All Free Bets must be wagered within 30 days.
- LADBROKES £50 FREE BET OFFER– 18+. New customers only. Promo code ‘F50’ required. Certain deposit methods excluded. Min £/€5 on win or each-way bet excluding Tote or pools = match max £/€50 free bet. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Bet must be made within 14 days. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet stake not returned. Single bets only. Free bet cannot be used on certain markets. T&Cs apply.
- CORAL BET £5, GET £20 IN FREE BETS – 18+. UK+IRE only. Min first bet £5 at odds 1/2 or more. Tote and Pool excluded. Must be placed within 14 days of account reg. £20 credited as 4 x £5 free bets. Not valid with Cash Out. Free bet valid for 4 days. Free bet stake not returned. T&Cs apply.
- Offers and free bets coming soon…. in the meantime, check out our World Cup betting offers page as the bookies gear up for Russia 2018! We’ll also be highlughting all the best England World Cup promotions too!
Marseille v Atletico Madrid Betting Tips
Odds correct at the time of writing and are subject to change.
Also see the latest Champions League final betting offers and tips… can Liverpool do the business?
Marseille v Atletico Madrid Preview – Can the Spain Reign Continue?
While Atletico Madrid were seen as contenders for the Champions League at the start of the season, they could yet add to the Spanish dominance of European football. Recent years have seen Real Madrid and Barcelona share the continent’s biggest trophy, with Atletico twice losing in the final. However, that has also continued in the Europa League, given that four of the last six winners have come from La Liga. Will we see yet another winner from Spain, or is this going to be the tide turning against them?
Atletico last won this competition back in 2012, when Simeone led them to the trophy. That was their second success in two years in this competition, following their 2010 win. While many of that squad have moved on, this current side have spent the last few seasons battling for Champions League success, meaning they have the talent and experience to win this competition and cap off a strong season. They’re set to finish ahead of Real domestically, and they could end up clashing with their city rivals in the UEFA Super Cup in August.
Marseille have had an interesting run in this competition, seeing off Portuguese, Spanish, German and Austrian opposition to make it this far. However, they have exactly been tested by the very best. Their win over RB Leipzig was their biggest test, and the Germans flunked that tie and the Ligue 1 side progressed.
Meanwhile, Atletico beat a Sporting side who made life difficult for both Juventus and Barcelona in the Champions League this term, before eliminating Arsenal in the semi-finals. Will their impressive run to the clash in Lyon finish with yet another Spanish side lifting this trophy aloft? With Real Madrid in the Champions League final and the Spanish among the front runners for the World Cup, this could be a very special summer should Atletico kick off a winning spree.
Relevant Stats, Injuries and Suspensions
Atletico Madrid are expecting to come in to this one with a fully fit squad, which only boosts their hopes of winning this one. Meanwhile, Marseille have Adil Rami returning from a domestic ban, although they could miss forward Kostas Mitroglou for this encounter. However, the French side have an impressive array of talent going forward, having restored Premier League rejects Florian Thauvin and Clinton N’Jie since they returned to Ligue 1. They’re a big part of the reason why the French side have made it this far.
Marseille v Atletico Madrid – Will Griezmann Enjoy Perfect Send Off
Atletico Madrid come in to this clash priced at 7/10 with 888Sport, they’ve been the clear favourites since dropping in to this competition from the Champions League. Meanwhile, the draw is priced up at 12/5 with Coral, while the French side are out at 4/1 with Betfair to win this encounter. However, Atletico are 1/3 with Bet365 to lift the trophy through any means, and they’ll be counting on their strength to edge out a side who are desperate for Champions League football.
While Marseille want this trophy to book their spot in the group stage of Europe’s premier competition, Atletico are aiming to boost their campaign with a European trophy. They’ll also be aiming to come back stronger in next season’s Champions League, and silverware would certainly give them a confidence boost ahead of their European push next time around. Diego Simeone is a clever tactician, and he should set this team up for a victory, while we expect him to drive his side on in the hunt for a trophy.
With plenty of questions around what the ceiling is for Atleti, they’ll be hoping to end their first season in their new ground with European success. We’re backing Atletico to win this one at 7/10 with 888Sport, while we think Antoine Griezmann will strike in what could be his big farewell for the club, so we’re backing him to find the net at 6/4 with BetVictor.
Marseille v Atletico Madrid Head to Head Record
These two have only met twice in recent years, having gone head to head in the Champions League group stage back in 2008. The pair drew 0-0 in France, following a 2-1 win for Atletico at home. Almost 10 years on, there’s not much we can take from the two previous encounters, with Sergio Aguero opening the scoring for the Spaniards in their victory. However, given the current style of Diego Simeone’s side, we expect to see a result closer to the 0-0 when the pair meet in France once again.
- Marseille 0-0 Atletico Madrid – Dec 2008, Champions League
- Atletico Madrid 2-1 Marseille – Oct 2008, Champions League
- Marseille 2-1 Nice – 6th May, Ligue 1
- Salzburg 2-1 Marseille – 3rd May, Europa League
- Angers 1-1 Marseille – 29th April, Ligue 1
- Marseille 2-0 Salzburg – 26th April, Europa League
- Marseille 5-1 Lille – 21st April, Ligue 1
- Atletico Madrid 0-2 Espanyol – 6th May, La Liga
- Atletico Madrid 1-0 Arsenal – 3rd May, Europa League
- Alaves 0-1 Atletico Madrid – 29th April, La Liga
- Arsenal 1-1 Atletico Madrid – 26th April, Europa League
- Atletico Madrid 0-0 Real Betis – 22nd April, La Liga